Monday 11 May 2009

Do Not Allow The Singing of Happy Birthday in church

Dear Priests and Laypeople of the Diocese of Southwark[1],

Please, please, please could you refuse to sing "Happy Birthday" at the end of Sunday morning church services? Do it during your own personal devotions for all I care, but don't inflict it on the rest of us.

It's bad theology (baptism, not birth), bad liturgy (liturgy should be joyful/solemn play, not showtunes), bad music (need I say more?) and it's, like, really embarrassing to be a Christian when you insist on ruining things. So just stop it. OK? Or I'll have to be forced to name offenders.

I'm not going to say it again.

The annoyed Three Wheeled One[2]

[1] SE11 is all in the Diocese of Southwark, and this habit needs to be stamped on before it escapes. It has now happened in at least 8 of the churches I've attended recently.

[2] And I reserve the right to be as spiky as I like because it's my blog.

1 comment:

Andrew Orange said...

Perhaps it would help if you pointed out that Happy Birthday To You is still in copyright which means they must pay royalties each time it is sung? True.

Label Cloud

Blog Archive