IT IS PERMANENTLY WORSE THAN THAT.
Shopping at Tesco in Kennington is an appalling experience. There are often major food shortages. Even food that people eat all of the time eg. salad items are frequently missing. The interior is scruffy and messy. The queues are ridiculous and staff do not open new tills even when prompted. The self-service shopping computers are so slow and very buggy. The queues are ridiculous during the evening. The younger staff are downright unhelpful and undisciplined. (The older staff are sometimes better.) Tonight, we asked three members of staff for the managers' last name. Her picture is on the wall and the name badge says "Nikki", but none of them knew her last name. That may be because she is not in the store often enough to realise how yucky it has become.
Last Friday, I finally lost my temper, and started photographing everything in an attempt to get somebody to take some notice.
These are the items that Tesco did not have in stock last Friday night:
1. £1.97 - Tesco Smoked and back bacon:
2. 5 or 6 different varieties of ham
3. £9 - dinner for 2 section. Very empty.
4. £2.00 Tesco finest oven baked potatoes with bacon and £1.97 Tesco finest dauphinoise potatoes:
5. Tesco (not finest) potato croquettes:
6. Tesco Paracetamol Tablets 500mg 16 tablets:
7. Tesco Paracetamol Tablets 500mg 16 capsules: [Clearly, shopping in Tesco has become too much for most locals...]
8. £4.93 Tesco Luxury Soft Toilet Roll White (16 for 12) [for expensive bottoms]:
9. 41p Tesco Value Toilet Roll [for cheap bottoms]:
10. £1.97 Tesco unsmoked back bacon:
11. £5.32 "Just for Men" Brown hair dye is missing. [Fine to shop at Tesco if you want to dye your hair black, but don't bother if it's brown you want]
12. Something that cost 15p, but now cannot be deciphered due to camera death.
At that point, the camera died (it is four years old, and has started doing an open/close shutter thing at random). Sadly, I'd barely scratched the surface of the products missing. I just took pictures of the most noticeable gaps. I even have a big list of over 30 other items missing (including pretty much all quantities/styles of rice), but it's sad enough to take pictures of missing items without actually typing it all up, so I shall not!
I think I might rename the blog to "Whinging about SE11.
In the meantime, please, Nikki, whoever you are... Take note of this public SE11 plea of Tesco management inadequacy and fix it!