Stockwell News reported some kind of accident or incident at Oval tube station in Harleyford Road at around 8:30am this morning, and noticed lots of emergency vehicles and somebody on a stretcher. I left for work very late this morning, and didn't notice any traffic buildup in Kennington as a result, but no doubt the road was cleared quickly.
(Edit, 12:12) - One Lurking about SE11 commentator notes that the person on a stretcher was a woman. It is reported that she was a cyclist, and was hit by a lorry.
(Edit, 30/6/2009) - It has now been confirmed (see comments) that the cyclist died in the accident, witnessed by a number of readers yesterday. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of both the cyclist and the lorry driver.
I know that the roads in this area are potentially dangerous because they are so fast moving, and I frequently see both cyclists and motorists driving/cycling dangerously.
Thank you for all of the comments you've all contributed. I know that readers will be sad to hear of another accident in this area. Some of the folk at the London Fixed-Gear and Single Speed website are advocating writing to Boris Johnson to request that he makes HGV/cyclist safety a priority. Individual letters are (as with most things) a more powerful catalyst for change than petitions. If you would like to follow up, you can contact the Mayor as follows:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mayor of London
Greater London Authority
The Queen's Walk
London SE1 2AA
Telephone: 020 7983 4100
Minicom: 020 7983 4458
Fax: 020 7983 4057
I lifted the above information from the thread about the accident on the London FGSS forums here.
(For what it's worth, Boris might be more open to listening to comments at the moment because he was involved in a near-miss recently, reported by the BBC here.)
- ► 2011 (110)
- ► 2010 (184)
- Sexual health clinic to move to Kennington or Vaux...
- Oval accident - female cyclist died
- 8 Albert Embankment - Initial exhibition / consult...
- More on Lambeth Leaseholders
- Further info on crossing the road at Vauxhall
- Lambeth Leaseholder Service Charge Estimates 2009/...
- Tall Tower Update
- Crossing the road at Vauxhall Cross
- Trouble at the Big Gay Tesco in Kennington
- 8 Albert Embankment, SE1 and other tall buildings ...
- TFL Cycling Scheme
- 69 - 71 Bondway SW8 - Planning Permission sought
- London European Election results - Lambeth breakdo...
- Filming yesterday at Kennington Arts Lav
- Kennington Oval hotel granted planning permission
- More on Battersea Power Station and Northern line ...
- The winner of Princes Ward by election is Mark Har...
- Election day in Princes Ward
- Accusations - response to criticism re LGBT hustin...
- SE11 goes green for the summer
- ▼ June (20)