This post is a brief update with lots of bits and pieces that people send me, and questions asked. None of it quite warrants a post of its own.
* St Aubyn's Holistic centre on Cleaver Street closed down (or appears to have done) in late December.
* The antique dealer on Windmill Row (opposite Thai Ming) has sold, but construction appears to be taking place there, so that might yield something interesting.
* Finishing Touch on Kennington Lane (apparently, Kennington's longest serving hairdresser) closed on 3rd January and the building is up for sale. (It's just on the corner of White Hart Street).
* The burned out old sandwich shop at 345 Kennington Road next to the Pizza Hut takeaway has a planning application on it. According to a an email sent to me by a reader (thank you), it's been burned out for 20 years so it's about time something happened. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear from the application 10/04211/FUL that any retail space is planned, and the proposal is for a some type of 4 room bedsit. However, it's probably far better used for accommodation than left in its burnt out state. It's still in the planning process so has yet to be agreed.
* A new bar has opened in Vauxhall, JD's place, at 353A Kennington Lane. The interior is minimalist and quite funky with sprayed murals of Tower Bridge on one side and St Paul's and the city on the other. Lunch is served from 12pm to 6pm (baguettes from £2.50) and dinner from 6pm to 10pm (burgers from £5.49), but when I popped in on Friday night, the music was so loud that I felt it was more a place to drink than a place to eat. For pre-clubbing drinks and snacks, I can see it might be popular..
* Tesco on Kennington Park Road (around the corner from Toulouse Lautrec) opened in late December. The site goes much further than I expected, and it's not a bad size for a small store. I spoke to the folk next door in the fantastic Old Red Lion pub who think that business has improved as a result of the new store opening (which is one good thing) and I have to admit that I prefer Tesco to the previous store that was on the site. Tesco need somebody to manage their community notice board, so go and feel free to speak to the manager if you want to do that. Another plus point is that they've stuck a free cash point on the front of the store, and it's not easy to get cash around those parts.
* A new Londis has opened on Kennington Park Road opposite Kennington Park.
* The laundrette next to the funeral parlour on the corner of Kennington Road and Kennington Park Road is being refurbished and turned into something (not clear what yet). That's quite positive as that row of shops looked quite drab.
* One reader tells me that the Old Amici's is alive with construction (I think this is the one on Kennington Road). Anybody any further news?
* One reader wonders whether anybody heard or saw anything reported in relation to Costa Coffee, as apparently, the smell of burned coffee could be detected in the area and smoke was viewed from Lambeth Walk. (It might just be normal operation. Who knows?)
* The Ethelred Estate tower blocks have been reclad, and are now no longer a dingy brown colour. They look very very good, and one of them had its scaffolding removed, only to be re-scaffolded to be cleaned when dirty streaks were revealed! The towers are still mostly covered as we speak, but when they're finished, they're going to be impressive again.
Wednesday - My legs were aching for a run early on Wednesday morning. 8km later and they were just aching. Ouch. I had planned for the 10km route around the estuary an...
2 hours ago