Thursday 26 May 2011

Local Tesco smashed to pieces and 281 Kennington Lane refurb

Some of you might have missed the great Tesco-drink-and-smash, being that the store is at the north end of Kennington, but the new Tesco Express at 38-40 Kennington Park Road had its windows decimated at about 1am on Thursday 19th May. 

I assumed from the damage that it was a van job where a gang had tried to steal the cash machine (on the far left of the top photo, you can see the window has been entirely boarded up).  Apparently not.  Tesco may regret their decision to open next to a pub!  It turns out that the extensive damage to all of the front windows is just the work of one very drunk man!  Somebody doesn't like Tesco...




In other news, some of you may have noticed that big gay Tesco on 281 Kennington Lane is currently being refurbished and is consequently closed.  It's going to be re-arranged and presumably enlarged somewhat and will reopen on Monday 30th May.  I've no reason to assume that stock control will improve in any way or that they'll fix the freezers, so it might just be a re-arranged disaster zone as usual, but you never know...

8 comments:

mark said...

I cannot tell you how much I hate myself, but...

...I rather like the new mini Tescos.


There - I said it. I'm damned forever.

Anonymous said...

really object to you calling our local supermarket "big gay" tesco's.
just because gay men only notice each other doesn't mean the rest of the population doesn't exist! Gays are not even remotely the majority in this area. I appreciate it is meant to be funny, but it just isn't.

SE11 Lurker said...

It's an endearing reference as far as I'm concerned. Makes shopping feel like Pride! Gays not a majority, but a significant presence. I like that.

Anonymous said...

Pretty confident that there is no prejudice meant :)

Long live the 'Big Gay Tesco'.

Jon B said...

Spot the homophobe...

Anonymous said...

I would prefer you could say Big Gay Waitrose....

Anonymous said...

i work in the little tescos at kennington park road and you assumed wrong about what happened!
a man smashed the windows in with a hammer and then phoned the police on himself and waited for them to come and arrest him. nothing was stolen and noone was harmed. and i am abit shocked at your comment about 'big gay tescos' if that is your best shot at expressing how rubbish it is then you havent doen too well.

SE11 Lurker said...

Thanks, anon. I actually asked the security guard at the little Tesco on Kennington Park Road, so he must have misinformed me. It was some while ago, so I do wonder whether we're talking about the same incident??

The big gay Tesco thing is a bit of an in-joke between locals, rather than intended to express the quality of the large Tesco. I don't use the word "gay" pejoratively.

Label Cloud